Semilong Neighbourhood Watch
[NORTHAMPTONSHIRE COMMUNITY MESSAGING - Northamptonshire West - 10.12.09 - WB/CMS/1591/09 - GOOD NEWS]
This is a message from Northamptonshire West Police to all residents in Northamptonshire.
With the Christmas party season well under way, Northamptonshire Police is reminding people not to drink alcohol or take drugs before driving.
The annual campaign began on 1 December and so far 175 breath tests have been carried out.
Key figures for the 2009 campaign so far:
- 16 people have been arrested and 11 have been charged with investigations continuing on the others
- None of the arrests made so far were between 7am and noon the 'morning after'
- Of the 16 people arrested, four are aged between 17 and 24
- Three of the 17-24 year olds have been charged and investigations are continuing on the other At this stage in the 2008 campaign:
- 24 people had been arrested and 20 had been charged
- Two of the arrests were made the morning after
- Of the 24 people arrested, 10 were aged between 17 and 24
- Eight of the 17-24 year olds had been charged
- None of the arrests for 17-24 year olds were made the morning after.
Chief inspector Gary Percival said: "We have been carrying out targeted and intelligence-led operations and roadside checks with the aim of reducing the number of drink or drug related collisions. We are pleased that the number of arrests has gone down compared to this point in last year's campaign, however we are still concerned that so many drivers are willing to put their lives, and the lives of others, at risk. Co-ordinated roadside operations, routine checks and ongoing patrolling will be continuing throughout the county and we would strongly remind all drivers that the only safe drink drive limit this Christmas is NONE."
He continued: "We would also urge anyone who suspects a driver of taking to the wheel under the influence of drink or drugs to call the Drivewatch Hotline, a 24-hour telephone service, on 0800 174615. This confidential service is regularly monitored and intelligence is followed up by officers."
**Northamptonshire Police Contact Details**
Dedicated Watch Line: 01604 XXXXXXX
Northamptonshire Police Switchboard: 101
Alternatively Call Crime Stoppers Anonymously: 0800 555 111